Mass Finishing Handbook
LaRoux K. Gillespie
Please note: This title is no longer in print. For the eBook version click here.
Compiled from the author’s 40 years of research and experience, Mass Finishing Handbook provides “how-to” details of all mass finishing/loose abrasive finishing processes that experienced finishers will find as useful as the first-time user. It covers 16 basic mass finishing processes, including vibratory, centrifugal disc, magnetic abrasive, cryogenic, and chemical-assisted processes. Gillespie provides data and charts based on thousands of measurements to make process selection easier.
In addition to providing case histories and a host of practical tips, Mass Finishing Handbook also discusses economics, edge requirements, surface requirements, side effects, the impact of burr size and part definition, media, and compounds. Whether you’re a manufacturing engineer buying a machine for the first time, or a shop foreman, or an experienced user who is looking for ideas for more economical approaches; this is the perfect resource!
- Contains complete coverage of all processes, based on precision finishing requirements and filled with user data rather than sales information.
- Provides data that enables users to quickly assess the best approaches.
- Only book of its kind that deals with burrs and precision finishing.
- Offers coverage of magnetic finishing and cryogenic information not found in any other English language books.
- Includes an extensive bibliography of world literature on the topic.
LaRoux K. Gillespie is a consultant and writer on manufacturing issues. He retired in 2006 as a second level Manager in Honeywell's Kansas City Division responsible for all plant product Quality issues and practices.
For 40 years LaRoux Gillespie balanced manufacturing production and research needs at the Kansas City plant. He and his staff were responsible for over 240 manufacturing research/process characterization efforts for a variety of precision parts and assemblies. In addition to directing $2 million of annual process development, and guiding new products into production, he also was active in plant environmental health and safety efforts .
- Mass Finishing Economics
- Edge Requirements
- Surface Requirements
- Process Side Effects
- Impact of Burr Size and Part Definition
- Compound Solutions for Mass Finishing
- Barrel Tumbling
- Centrifugal Barrel Deburring
- Vibratory Finishing
- Centrifugal Disk (Roll Flow Finishing)
- Orboresonant Finishing
- Spindle Finishing
- Drag Finishing (Flow Finishing/Racetrack Finishing)
- Immersion Lapping
- Fluidized Bed Finishing (Turbo-Abrasive Finishing)
- Chemical Loose Abrasive Finishing
- Cryogenic Loose Abrasive Finishing
- Magnetic-Abrasive Finishing
- Chemical-Magnetic and Electrochemical-Magnetic Loose Abrasive Finishing
- Electrochemical Mass Finishing
- Cascade Finishing
- Ancillary Equipment
- Environmental, Health Safety, and Ergonomics, Increasing Efficiency and Quality
- Inspecting for Burrs and Sharp Edges Finishing